Oh- Hi! New Winter Salad
Our NEW Ojai Harvest Salad has arrived, and it is already making a big splash. I sat down with our Corporate Chef, Joel Huff, to get an inside scoop on the what inspired him to make this tasty salad.
Growing up in Ventura, California, he would frequently head inland to a little town called Ojai Ca, which is only about 20 minutes from Ventura. “O- Hi” he corrected me as I was pronouncing the “J” — where they are known for their Ojai Pixie tangerines. He can remember visiting his grandfather’s orchard and taking oranges off his trees to throw at his brother—in a brotherly, loving way of course. Joel is 6th generation of farming and loves those fond memories. Those citrus farms were what inspired him to make our Ojai Harvest Salad.
My first impressions of the Ojai Harvest salad were WOW – Look at all those beautiful colors. From the vibrant greens of the lettuce, to the pops of orange from citrus & squash, to the pink watermelon radish. The Ojai Harvest Salad is made with Seasonal Greens, Brown Rice Mix (Organic brown rice, Delicata squash, pepitas, pecans and dried cranberries), orange wedges, rosemary chicken, watermelon radish, Feta, sprinkled with Za’atar, and served with Orange Turmeric dressing. This salad is perfect for the first of the year because it is packed with so many health benefits. Here are some to name a few:
- Turmeric - It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis
- Oranges – The list of health benefits are very long, but I would like to highlight Vitamin C, lowers cholesterol & lowers risk of cancer
- Apple Cider Vinegar – weight loss, reduced cholesterol, lower blood sugar levels and improved symptoms of diabetes
- Cranberries – the prevention of certain types of cancer, improved immune function, and decreased blood pressure
- Watermelon Radish – provides an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C
- Za’atar – helps the immune system, mental focus, increased energy, digestion, and reducing infection risks
Not only does it have all the health benefits BUT it tastes GREAT too! After the first few bites, I knew this was a go-to from now on. Try it and tell us what you think on social media. We would love to hear from you!